iPhone crashing computer work-around

So I got an iPhone for my birthday yesterday and was all excited this morning to get it up and running with apps, my music/podcasts etc and of course to do that you have to connect it up to your PC.

So I plug it in to the USB port via the supplied lead and my computer crashes. 'Well it must be a fluke' I think 'Apple products are known for their ability to "just work" right? That couldn't just be marketing bullshit' I continue to think.

So I reboot and plug it in again. Same thing. And this isn't just any crash either, this is a 'screen goes black, all keys cease to work, forcing a hard reset' kind of crash.

So after (literally) three hours of tinkering and searching Google I have come up with a work-around.

The problem was caused by the iPhone/iTunes software having a software clash with my HP Photo transfer software for transferring pictures off my digital camera (which BTW has never happened before with previous iPods or ANY OTHER SOFTWARE I'VE EVER USED) So I had to delete all the pictures off the iPhone to stop the HP software recognizing it as a digital camera and crashing. This means that I can sync my iPhone with my PC now but can't really use the camera function since if I connect it with any photos on there it refuses to work.

The upshot is that I will either have to sacrifice a useful bit of software and remove it from my PC or I won't be able to use a major feature of my brand new iPhone.

Bravo Apple.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Never one to pass up a challenge...

Learning C++ (or programming Conway's Game of Life)

Binary Combination Lock